Wednesday 13 February 2013

Would you trust Twitter with your credit card?

Pay with a simple Tweet?

Starting tomorrow, American Express card holders will be able to sync their credit cards with Twitter and purchase exclusive offers with a simple Tweet. I have just caught up with this latest foray into the world of social media commerce from AMEX and I am rather intrigued by the whole idea, and to weather consumers will trust uploading their personal details onto Twitter.

The concept seems likes a good one, AMEX will Tweet special offers, including items such as an Amazon Kindle Fire HD, a Sony Action Cam and headband mount, a Donna Karan Urban Zen bracelet, and a Microsoft Xbox 360. If you want the item, after syncing your card with the app, you simply reply to the Tweet with the related hashtag. AMEX have produced a short video to explain how the concept works.


I'm really interested in the success of this idea, the implications for social media commerce could be huge. I really do think this is all down to how much the consumer trusts the privacy of their details. I will be eagerly watching the launch of this concept tomorrow to see what the uptake is like.

To be honest - I wish I had an AMEX card myself to test this out, but I think I may find it too easy to buy, and would soon rack up a very large credit card bill!

Watch this space,

Social Garble :)

No comments:

Post a Comment